Reproduction biology and farming research of Undaria pinnatifida
The research team of the Marine Algal Culture Collection Centre has devoted long-term efforts to fundamental and applied research of Undaria pinnatifida. The team has made a series of important progresses in the last decade, including:
(1) has bred the only two elite national varieties “Haibao No 1 and 2” certificated by the Ministry of Agriculture;
(2) has constructed the first high-density genetic linkage map based on SNP markers;
(3) has sequenced the full-length transcriptome and analyzing the transcriptomic changes during the development of the sporophyll;
(4) has tracked the source of the newly invaded populations in the north sea of Germany;
(5)has obtained for the first time the whole genome sequence and finished the chromosome-level assembly and annotation；
(6) has observed and reported the zoospore-derived hermaphroditic gametophyte for the first time;
(7) has established male and female zoospore hybrid breeding technology.
As an important economic kelp species native to the Northwest Pacific, U.pinnatifida has been farmed for a long history in China, Japan and Korea. It has drawn increasing concern due to its worldwide spread as an alien species in recent years. The above-mentioned achievements have laid foundations for future investigations on the genetic breeding and the invasion mechanisms of this important seaweed.
 Shan T, Pang S, Li J, Li X, Su L. 2015. Construction of a high-density genetic map and mapping of a sex-linked locus for the brown alga Undaria pinnatifida (Phaeophyceae) based on large scale marker development by specific length amplified fragment (SLAF) sequencing. Bmc Genomics 16.
 Shan T, Li Q, Wang X, Pang S. 2020a. Full-length transcriptome sequencing and comparative transcriptomic analysis of different developmental stages of the sporophyll in Undaria pinnatifida (Laminariales: Alariaceae). Journal of Applied Phycology: 1-12.
 Shan T, Pang S, Wang X, Li J, Su L, Schiller J, Lackschewitz D, Hall-Spencer JM, Bischof K. 2019. Genetic analysis of a recently established Undaria pinnatifida (Laminariales: Alariaceae) population in the northern Wadden Sea reveals close proximity between drifting thalli and the attached population. European Journal of Phycology 54: 154-161.
 Shan T, Yuan J, Su L, Li J, Leng X, Zhang Y, Gao H, Pang S. 2020b. First Genome of the Brown Alga Undaria pinnatifida: Chromosome-Level Assembly Using PacBio and Hi-C Technologies. Frontiers in Genetics 11: 140.
 Li J, Pang S, Shan T, Liu F, Gao S. 2014. Zoospore-derived monoecious gametophytes in Undaria pinnatifida (Phaeophyceae). Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology 32: 365-371.
 Li J, Pang S, Shan T. 2017. Existence of an intact male life cycle offers a novel way in pure-line crossbreeding in the brown alga Undaria pinnatifida. Journal of Applied Phycology 29: 993-999.